This little hotel finds its roots in the our wish and determination to create a unique and cozy space that highlights the building's own character, as well as the charm of the listed area where it is located. The care for details led to an intricate project incorporating many innovative solutions, and no effort has been spared in our attempt to combine the historic elements with the requirements of modern-day comfort.
The will to create ambience that is authentic from a historic perspective but contemporary in every comfort-related aspect was the key factor in planning the hotel's interior.
"Les Jardins Carol" is situated on the upper floor of a historic building in the south-west area of Bucharest, on the Filaret Hill - an important historic neighborhood. The building itself dates back to 1909 (as is mentioned on the original inscription to be found on the southern facade) and has been built three short years after the inauguration of the Carol Park.
The style is eclectic (characteristic to the period when the house was build) and it borrows elegant and precious elements from the European Romantic style, fused with the coziness and the warmth of the English Cottage style. To create the intended atmosphere, most of the walls are covered in Belgian wallpaper replicating classical early XX-Century patterns, the floors are covered in Dutch carpeting and the bathrooms are finished in Italian tiling. The furniture, as well as the wooden fittings and decorations are custom made for this project by local craftsmen.
A key feature of the hotel is that each room offers a different feel, as each is finished in different colors, with individual wallpaper and matching decor elements. Therefore, one can choose a room to match a specific taste or occasion.
But whichever the chosen room, one will discover a bohemian and tranquil atmosphere, elegant and cozy at the same time, just like in the days where the little details made the big difference and where the clients' comfort was the main raison d'etre.
The rooms' floor is accessed from the restaurant below via a massive wooden staircase. Upstairs, a welcoming area with a couple of armchairs set in front of a fireplace is always available for the hotel guests. The two wings of the building (each hosting 3 chambers) opens from the welcoming area.
The restaurant downstairs, with its international menu and longstanding tradition, provides an excellent opportunity for lunches, dinners or business meetings. The breakfast is also served in the restaurant, and, in the summertime, its shaded terrace proposes welcome respite from the heat of the city.
The surrounding area and the history of the place
The Carol Park, located right across the street from the hotel, is considered by many to be Bucharest's most beautiful park. It has been inaugurated on June 6, 1906, to celebrate the General Exhibition, on that same date when King Carol I celebrated 40 years of rule, and Romania celebrated 25 years since it became a kingdom.
Also in the immediate vicinity of the hotel one can find two noteworthy landmark of Bucharest: Arenele Romane (The Roman Arena) - an open-air theater built in Doric style following a project by architect Negrescu and engineer Elie Radu, and Gara Filaret (The Filaret Station) - the first train station in Bucharest, which opened to the public in 1869. In the following years, largely thanks to this train station, the area became the industrial core of the city. Architecturally-significant buildings form that economic boom period can still be seen today: The Machines Manufacture E. Wolff, known today as Hesper (1887), The Safety Matches Factory, The National Mint and the Stamps factory.
A series of interesting architectural landmarks are to be found in the park and in its proximity, such as the Geroge Grigore Cantacuzino Fountain, built by Karol Stork in 1870 to replace an old fountain which has been built by the bishop FIlaret II in 1792. On the left side of the park there is the Water Tower, built by the architects Scarlat Petculescu and Schindl, replicating the Poenari castle in Arges. Also in the park is the Technical Museum Prof. Ing. Dimitrie Leonida. The first reinforced concrete bridge in Romania, built in 1906, is to be found in the park as well. The main lane of the park leads from the Zodiac Fountain (built by the architect Octav Doicescu and covered in an elaborate mosaic by the sculptor Mac Constantinescu, depicting the zodiacal signs) to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (built in 1923 by the sculptor Emil Willy Becker) and to the Monument to the Heroes of the Fight for the People's Freedom (built by the architects Horia Maicu and Nicolae Cucu in 1963, during the communist regime, and later decommissioned after 1989)